Cold Bluing

MacD

Cold Bluing

Postby MacD » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 pm

So I got bored what with crappy weather so I decided to take out from the dark recesses of my cabinet my first shotgun, a Cooey (Winchester) 840 that I bought in 1974. I haven't shot it for years, maybe 15 or so. Before that it went with me on many a pheasant, grouse, rabbit, duck, goose, one moose and a couple of deer hunts. The forestock had cracked at the base and the only bluing left was under the forestock. It had what collectors call a patina. The bore was bright with only a little bit of plastic fouling near the chamber. There was a small bit of surface rust on the back of the receiver where it abuts the butt stock. So I stripped it down including the trigger but not hammer and hit it with fine steel wool followed by wet/dry paper finishing with a 1000 grit polish. I then washed it down with hot soapy water followed by a rinse with boiling water from a kettle. Final prep was a thorough wiping with alcohol while wearing nitrile gloves. The first bluing was done with G96 paste blue. It wasn't very good and I ended up steel wooling it all off under the hot water tap. I had an old bottle (1985) of Outer's liquid blue. It was a no longer blue but a milky brown colour. I wiped it on several times keeping the surface wet. Then I used superfine steel wool soaked in bluing to lightly go over the surface to even out the bluing and prevent streaking. The resuilts were pretty spectacular. I wish I had taken a before picture. I also repaired the stock although it isn't as pretty a job and refinished it with stain and water based Varathane. Not bad for a days work.

DownZero
Site Admin

Re: Cold Bluing

Postby DownZero » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:05 am

Looks good.
"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on." - Ulysses S. Grant

Return to “General”