EBay Letter on Raising Tax Free Import Threshold

MacD

EBay Letter on Raising Tax Free Import Threshold

Postby MacD » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:51 pm

http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/petition/ ... -threshold

Ever pay more in taxes and fees than the item cost to import a part or other item from the US that came in by a courier? (Not a problem with stuff sent by post as Canada Post usually doesn't clear customs for small packages.) The culprit is mainly Canada's low threshold of $20. I signed the above petition to ask the government to increase the threshold. As shooting enthusiasts we all know how hard it often is to locate parts and accessories in Canada. Not all US suppliers will ship USPS. UPS will charge you at least double the HST collected or more for low value items. I recommend signing the letter.

Bill

Re: EBay Letter on Raising Tax Free Import Threshold

Postby Bill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Signed.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Mayor McCheese » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:55 pm

UPS are without a doubt the worst to deal with when shipping across the border... full stop! :evil: :evil: :evil:
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly - David Hackworth

Bill

Postby Bill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:18 pm

Whenever I buy from the U.S. I always request USPS - even Brownells will send it that way if you request it. For some reason, most USPS parcels seem to slip under the radar.

czshadow

Postby czshadow » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:13 am

UPS is horrible, learned that lesson long ago, USPS all the way..

MacD

Postby MacD » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:50 am

Bill wrote:Whenever I buy from the U.S. I always request USPS - even Brownells will send it that way if you request it. For some reason, most USPS parcels seem to slip under the radar.

I was told by a Canada Post insider that they started letting small parcels through as online purchase volumes increased because their parcel handling system was slowing down to a crawl as they dealt with thousands of parcels going out to third party customs brokers. Collecting taxes and fees also was going to add significant overhead requirements. The couriers are already set-up to handle customs brokerage and add a hefty surcharge for this service. I used to get the occasional USPS parcel that was sent to PF Collins for clearance. I would get a bill from them not Canada Post. One purchase cost me C$32 and PF Collins charged me close to $40 for customs and taxes. I couldn't buy the item in Canada.

BTW Brownells quoted me a flat US$35 fee for shipment to Canada regardless of the price of the order. They won't ship to a US address (At least gun parts) as a domestic order unless bought with a US credit card. Last part I got from them I sent the money to a friend in Florida who ordered the part and then mailed it to me. Still pretty expensive way of getting a low value item but again, not available here.

You can clear an order through customs yourself but it is a real PITA unless you are doing it regularly.

Return to “Off Topics”